Bensons Animal Farm, later known as New England Playworld closed in November 1987.
It remained unchanged since the closing of the park until around 2002
when it started to be refurbished into a city park.
The zoo was founded by John Benson in 1924 as an animal-training center,
and was opened to the public in 1926 with animal exhibits,
a miniature train, games and exhibits.
It was expanded in 1932-33 with the addition of a permanent Wild Animal Circus.
A special "Jungle Train" ran from Boston to Hudson on Sundays, with admission to Benson's included in the ticket price.
By 1934 the parking lot could accommodate 5,200 cars.
In 1940 animal trainer Joe Arcaris began his association with the zoo, performing acts with lions and other animals till the late 1970s.
Once located in Hudson, New Hampshire, but frequently advertised
with a Nashua, New Hampshire dateline, Benson's Animal Farm was also known as:
Benson Wild Animal Farm
Bensons Animal Farm
Bensons Wild Animal Farm
Bensons Wild Animal Park
Bensons Animal Park
The Strangest Farm on Earth
New England Playworld
The Firefly Roller Coaster was one popular attraction.
Major Felix was an animal trainer at Benson's Animal Farm around 1936.
After the auction, many items from Benson's Animal Farm ended up at the
Grandview Flea Market in Derry, New Hampshire.